- World premiere of race-inspired version of Nissan's legendary GT-R
- 600hp (447kw) for blistering performance
- Advanced aerodynamics generating additional 100kg of downforce at 300km/h (186mph) for exceptional road-holding
TOKYO, Japan - Records fall and dreams come true with the debut of the Nissan GT-R NISMO. This race-oriented model delivers "factory tuned" supercar dynamics with revolutionary enhanced aerodynamics and ultra-precise handling. The Nissan GT-R is already established as one of the best performing supercars in the automotive sphere, and now Nissan has drawn on decades of racing experience gathered by NISMO, the brand's motorsport specialists, to develop the ultimate Nissan GT-R.
The Nissan GT-R NISMO features exclusive styling that embraces the longstanding racing philosophy of form following function. It has numerous motorsports-inspired technologies to enhance the car's performance through optimized aerodynamics, suspension and powertrain, creating a well-balanced machine that is at home on both the road and track.
The Nissan GT-R NISMO will be available in Japan in late February 2014, in the U.S., and Europe later in 2014 and in Canada shortly thereafter.
Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn says this is the fastest Nissan GT-R ever. "With a 7:08.679 lap time, we can authoritatively say that the Nissan GT-R NISMO* holds the volume production car lap record at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which is the gold standard of high performance achievement."
Nissan GT-R NISMO Overview - Flagship of the NISMO lineup
1. Mechanical Features
Nissan GT-R NISMO employs innovation, uncompromising engineering and motorsports-inspired technologies to achieve new levels of power, speed and handling.
- Under the hood, the 3.8-litre V6 VR38DETT engine benefits from the know-how that NISMO has gained from participating in such events as the world-renowned Nürburgring 24 hour race. Engine power has risen and is now rated at 600hp (447kw) and 481 lb ft (652 Nm) of torque.
- New high-flow, large diameter turbochargers, which are used for GT3 racing, improve breathing, while optimized individual ignition timing control for each cylinder and upgraded fuel pump improve combustion.
- The suspension set-up is inspired by that of the NISMO racing GT-R and tuned for stunning agility, road-holding and handling finesse, without compromising refinement.
- The springs and custom-developed Bilstein DampTronic dampers in the front and rear suspension are specially tuned to deliver exceptional grip levels and progressive handling response at the limit. Three suspension modes can be selected: Comfort, Normal and R, for circuit applications.
- Exclusive NISMO tires - developed by Dunlop - exhibit outstanding grip and handling characteristics. Front: 255/40 ZRF20; rear 285/35 ZRF20.
- Specially developed links fitted to the front double wishbone suspension increase castor trail to optimize wheel position during high-G cornering and improve straight line and cornering stability. Additionally, large high-rigidity bolts are used to increase stiffness of the wheel-hub attachment area. To minimize body-roll during cornering and changes of direction, the Nissan GT-R NISMO features a 17.3 mm hollow rear anti-roll bar, which raises roll stiffness while reducing weight.
- Increased rigidity in the body shell is achieved using adhesive bonding in addition to spot welding leading to precise suspension response under extreme load, the NISMO "factory tuned" enhancement.
2. Exterior design - Exclusive styling with improved aerodynamics
- Using the latest Computational Fluid Dynamic simulation techniques to analyze airflow, NISMO has developed an aero package that improves road-holding, minimizes the negative impact of drag, while giving the car a menacing and muscular appearance.
- Together, the front bumper, engine undercover strake and carbon rear spoiler increase downforce, lowering the centre of gravity and generating an additional 100kg (at 300km/h) compared to the freshly updated 2014 GT-R model. The car's aerodynamic characteristics are tuned to ensure the downforce is equally spread front to rear at all speeds for progressive handling characteristics. A widened front bumper configuration and elongated yet tapered rear bumper design keep the drag to Cd 0.26, same with that of 2014 Nissan GT-R.
- The GT-R NISMO's black 6-spoke wheels are inspired by Nissan's legendary GT500 race car.
- The Nissan GT-R NISMO cockpit inspires driver confidence through both its craftsmanship and optimized driving position.
- Ergonomically sculpted carbon-fiber-backed reclining RECARO® seats (Europe/Japan) comfortably, yet firmly, support the driver and front-seat passenger.
- NISMO racers influenced the design of the steering wheel which is dressed in Alcantara®, with three spokes, red centre mark and red stitching to give the best combination of grip, feedback and comfort.
- The combi meter has carbon-like finish, and tachometer features a red design. The meter hood is also dressed with Alcantara®.
- Interior trim features include discreet red stitching on the seats, centre console, door trim and steering wheel.
* Nissan GT-R NISMO with track options
* Autech Japan is responsible for the planning and production of Nissan GT-R NISMO, which requires vehicle registration in person.
More information, high-res images and b-roll are available at www.media.nissan.ca or upon request.
- NISMO, a short form of "Nissan Motorsports," is the performance brand for Nissan, and is one of the company's purveyors of "innovation that excites."
- NISMO offers products featuring innovative technology and high performance to a wide range of customers for street use. NISMO cars provide an exciting driving experience with motorsports-inspired aerodynamics and styling, enhanced handling characteristics and unmatched agility.
- In the motorsports world, NISMO competes in the highest forms of GT and sports car racing, such as Japan's Super GT Series and the World Endurance Championships (WEC), as well as providing engines to teams that compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the European Le Mans Series (ELMS). The Nissan GT-R captured the Super GT championship in 2011 and 2012.
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Japan's second-largest automotive company, is headquartered in Yokohama, Japan, and is part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Operating with more than 248,000 employees globally, Nissan provided customers with more than 4.9 million vehicles in 2012, generating revenue of 9.4 trillion yen ($US118.95 billion) in fiscal 2011. With a strong commitment to developing exciting and innovative products for all, Nissan delivers a comprehensive range of 64 models under the Nissan and Infiniti brands. A pioneer in zero-emission mobility, Nissan made history with the introduction of the Nissan LEAF, the first affordable, mass-market, pure-electric vehicle and winner of numerous international accolades, including the prestigious 2011-2012 Car of the Year Japan and 2011 World Car of the Year awards.
For more information on our products, services and commitment to sustainable mobility, visit our website at http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/.
About Nissan Canada
Nissan Canada Inc. (NCI) is the Canadian sales, marketing and distribution subsidiary of Nissan Motor Limited and Nissan North America, Inc. With offices in Vancouver (BC), Mississauga (ON), and Kirkland (QC), NCI directly employs 250 full-time staff. There are 184 independent Nissan dealerships, 33 Infiniti retailers and 44 Nissan Commercial Vehicle dealers across Canada. A pioneer in zero emission mobility, Nissan made history with the introduction of the Nissan LEAF, the first affordable, mass-market, pure-electric vehicle and winner of numerous international accolades including the prestigious 2011 European Car of the Year and World Car of the Year awards.