LONDON, UK – Andy Palmer, Chief Planning Officer and Executive Vice President, Nissan Motor Corporation, has been named in the Queen's New Year Honors List.
Palmer was named a Companion of The Order of St. Michael and St. George (CMG). The prestigious award, which was given in recognition of services to the British automotive industry, highlights the important role Palmer has played in championing the UK as an automotive manufacturing base.
The Order of St Michael and St George is awarded to men and women who render extraordinary or important non-military service in a foreign country. Palmer was recognized in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Diplomatic Service and Overseas New Year 2014 Honors List, released on December 30, 2013.
As a global Nissan executive, Palmer has played a major part in bringing a number of significant projects to the UK through his extensive knowledge of the nation's manufacturing and skills capabilities.
Palmer has also been an influential figure in the establishment of a number of long-term partnerships such as Infiniti Red Bull Racing in Formula One and the high-performance program with Williams Advanced Engineering.
Commenting on the award, Palmer said: "This award is a genuine surprise and I am humbled, honored and extremely delighted to receive it. I would like to thank all the people of Nissan that have helped me achieve this."
"I started my automotive career 35 years ago with an apprenticeship and then moved to Austin Rover. With 23 years at Nissan in the UK, I am immensely proud of all that we have achieved in making the UK a critical part of Nissan's design, R&D and manufacturing operations. The UK has a wealth of automotive talent and expertise and it is vital that we continue in our efforts to attract the next generation and promote all that the industry has to offer."
About Nissan in the UK
- Nissan Sunderland Plant produces the Nissan Qashqai, Note and Juke and the 100% electric Nissan LEAF
- Production of lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles began in 2012
- Total plant volume since 1986 stands at more than seven million units with 80% of production exported to 97 markets worldwide
- Total investment made and announced since then is over £3.5 billion
- 510,572 units were produced at Sunderland plant in 2012, a plant record
- Sunderland Plant currently employs more than 6,100 people
- Nissan's European Design Centre is located in Paddington, London and employs around 65 people
- Nissan's European Technical Centre is based in Cranfield, Bedfordshire and employs around 1,000 people.
About Nissan in Europe
Nissan has one of the most comprehensive European presences of any overseas manufacturer, employing more than 14,500 staff across locally based design, research & development, manufacturing, logistics and sales & marketing operations. Last year Nissan plants in the UK, Spain and Russia produced more than 695,000 vehicles including mini-MPVs, award-winning crossovers, SUVs and commercial vehicles. Nissan now offers 24 diverse and innovative products for sale in Europe today, and is positioned to become the number one Asian brand in Europe.
# # #
01923 899937 (M: 07814 141097)
01923 899938 (Mob: 07581 187405)
01923 899933 (M: 07966 878 665)