The Nissan Bevel Concept, which makes its world debut at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, is a dynamic, multi-purpose vehicle – one designed to enhance every activity, every opportunity. But unlike currently available multi-activity vehicles such as SUVs and minivans, which emphasize passenger needs and comfort, the advanced Bevel Concept’s focus is placed strictly on the primary user – male empty-nesters actively engaged in hobbies, recreation and community service.
Conceived at Nissan Design America, Inc. (NDA) in La Jolla, California, in collaboration with Nissan advanced product planning groups in the United States, the Bevel Concept is an exploration of the future of the sport utility vehicle, going far beyond the current stereotypes.
Bevel offers unique, function-inspired asymmetrical styling, a high-utility three-zone interior and innovative technology ranging from glass roof-mounted solar panels to drive-by-wire steering, throttle and braking. Conceptually, Bevel would feature a small, efficient V6 HEV, combining driving pleasure with environmentally friendly design.
Highlights of the Nissan Bevel Concept include:
- 115.4-inchwheelbase, 173.2-inch overall length, 75.0-inch overall width, 63.8-inch overall height
- Short front and rear overhangs
- Distinctive, function-inspired asymmetrical styling
- Oversize driver’s door, rear-hinged passenger-side rear door that open to 67.3 inches (A-pillar to C-pillar)
- Large, asymmetrical glass roof with solar panels underneath
- Six unique roof-mounted cargo “pucks” with pop-up hooks and 250-pound load carrying capacity
- Multi-function tailgate with slide-out utility platform, special hinge design allows tailgate to raise to 6’2” clearance height
- Concealed LED headlights and projector fog lights in grille, LED taillights integrated into tailgate surround
- Breakaway fiber-optic side camera in place of traditional sideview mirrors
- Recessed rear license plate holder, hidden exhaust outlets
- Custom six-spoke 20-inch wheels with rubber spoke inserts, Michelin 245/55R20 tires
- Three activity zones –information/technology zone, comfort zone (driver area), utility/pet zone
- Flexible seating – driver-centric cockpit plus fold-down passenger seats
- Information-centric “ribbon” instrument panel with adjustable graphics, wireless movable tablet display monitor, wireless connectivity with folding keyboard
- Instrument panel and pedals move forward and back for exit/entry and adjust to driver position
- Fixed leather-appointed driver’s seat
- Multiple storage compartments and tie-downs
- Pet leash tie-down with 360-degree swivel
- Removable “doggie hutch” pet carrier
- Easy-clean rear utility area with multiple tie-down options, 110V rechargeable power tool socket
- Recycled Walnut cargo area flooring
- Nissan 2.5-liter V6 HEV
- Steering-, throttle- and brake-by-wire
- Designed by Nissan Design America, Inc., La Jolla, Calif.